Monday, June 13, 2011

This Old House - Day 2

Yesterday, I told you about about my first house, and the start of our low-budget kitchen renovations.  Our first project was to replace the ugly kitchen lighting with a few sleek recessed canister lights.  Our next project was to knock out the hanging cabinet that seperated the kitchen from the dining area.

Before~

 
I wish I could still find the pictures of us tearing the cabinets down.  We very foolishly thought this would be an easy project.  We started with a rubber mallet trying to just slowly knock each board apart.  I can remember the first few taps of the mallet.  No luck.  Slowly, we started hitting harder and harder.  Still, no luck.  Finally, I stepped back and let him just whale on it.  All we could hear was the sound of the revurberation of the unwaivering wood.  We ended up using a reciprocating saw to essentially cut the cabinet from the ceiling. 


It left a hole in the overhang, which you can see above.  We drywalled in the open space and added trim to finish. 

After~

Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures.  These were taken long before I really even knew what a blog was. 

Check back tomorrow for the before and after of the cabinet refacing and then later this week for the before and after of the appliance upgrade!

No comments:

Post a Comment