Sunday, June 12, 2011

This Old House

This time four years ago, I was in the middle of negotiating my first home purchase.  I was single and about to turn 27, tired of renting and wanted a yard for Bobbie the Beagle.  I focused on an older neighborhood with great starter home potential.  When it was all said and done, I bought this little girl~ 


A three bedroom, 2 bathroom 1400 square foot ranch built in 1960.  I bought her all by myself.  No help from family.  She was all mine.  I was so proud. 

She had some minor updates, but for the most part she was a project.  I wish I could find more pictures, but I think I have enough to tell you her kitchen story.  When I moved in, this was the state of the kitchen~

The previous owner had used some decent ceramic tile on the floor and counters, but otherwise, the kitchen needed some help.  I quickly set to work painting...red's not my color, so the top accent was the first thing to go.  For everything else, though, I had to save-up. 

About four months after I moved in, I met Eric.  There's a really long list of reasons why I love him, but his love for DIY is high on my list.  The first project we took on together was the kitchen lighting.  You can see in the picture above that there were two strip fluorescent lights with a nasty white and gold ceiling fan in the middle.  After several failed attempts to make a different type of light fixture look right in the room, we decided to just go for it.  We removed all three fixtures, moved the wiring, patched the existing holes and cut in canned lighting.




Yes, that's my kitchen dishtowel wrapped around his face to protect from the drywall dust.



So much better than the fluorescent lights and the gold/white fan!  The funny part of all of our project at that house was how quickly discards would disappear from the front curb.  I think that white fan only last about 30 minutes!!

Regardless, if I wasn't sure about marrying him before this project, I was when it was finished! 

Check back this week for more on our kitchen adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment