After making our trip to Lowe's, we set up shop in the garage. Eric pulled out the trusty nail gun. Ours shoot nails and large staples. We decided to go with the staples--Mistake #2.
At this point, we finally made a smart decision to fill them in place rather than build them in the garage and transfer them to the flowerbed. At the time we thought it each one would weight 150 lbs. ...not the end result!
After moving them into the flowerbed and deciding on placement, Eric went to work leveling (or attempting to level) the area. We have lots of roots in the dirt, which posed quite a challenge~
Then came final placement and making sure all sides were evenly spaced~
Then we learned of the mistake of the staples. As we were cleaning up, we noticed one board starting to pop loose. We tried adjusting it into place, and another board started to pop loose. So, as the sun was setting on our Sunday, I braced myself holding them in place and well as I could, while Eric ran to the garage for the drill for reinforcement. After adding a few screws, we'd manage to salvage planter number one. We went ahead and reinforced the other planter frame that we'd have to finish later since we were out of concrete.
The next day after work, we removed the frame to see our product. It was shotty at best... The wall where the staples gave way was lopsided and another wall cracked even though we carefully removed the frame.
And, I can't finish this post without saying thanks to my helper, Maizy, who hasn't eaten my plants yet. That friends is success!!
UPDATE: After last night's severe hailstorm, the back flowerbed is in serious need of work again. More on that next week!