Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pumpkin Planters

My goal for the weekend was to add a bit of fall to our house.  I generally am not one to over decorate for holidays--Christmas excluded--but this year with the hot summer we had (and still seem to be having) I thought that a little fall decor might make me feel like the seasons were actually changing.  After a trip to our local garden center and a stop at Michael's, I headed back home to start on my pumpkin planters. 


Here's how you can make your own pumpkin planters!

Start with faux pumpkins.  (I hate the work "fake"; "faux" sounds so much better!)  I picked mine up at Michael's.  You can probably also get them at Garden Ridge.  I bought a large and a medium size.  First step is to cut the top off.  We tried a few different methods, but in the end, the large kitchen knife worked the best.  Of course, you could use real pumpkins (and, they're cheaper than the faux kind), but I'm not sure how long they'll stay fresh enough to support your plants. 


Next step is to drill holes in the bottom.  You're going to fill them with dirt, so you'll need the water to drain out when you water your plants.  



Next, place a few rocks in the bottom.  I do this with all of my planters.  It helps the water drain easily.


Add enough dirt to support your plants.


I used one 6" Croton in each pot plus enough pansies to fill out the rest of the space.



And, viola~


Have you decorated for fall yet?  Please share your ideas in the comments section below!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. I had no plans to decorate for fall...until now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete